Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Bookclub: Chatting About The Poisonwood Bible


When I first moved back to Durham in April, 2006 I decided to start a book club, something I have always wanted to do.  I posted an add on Craig's List, and ended up with 12 of the coolest women I have ever met!

We meet once a month to drink wine, eat good food and discuss our book of choice.  Tonight Lisa, Aura, Julie, Sherry, Colleen, Lindsey and Sara gathered at my house to chat about Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible.  It doesn't happen very often that we agree, but we actually all loved this book, and it made for an energetic, heated and well rounded discussion.  

Other books our bookclub has read:
Mating by Norman Rush
The Last Girls by Lee Smith
The Memory of Running by Ron McLarty
Independence Day by Richard Ford
Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
A Thousand Pieces of Gold by Ruthann McCunn
Middlesex by Jefferey Eugenides
Blindness by Jose Saramago
Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime by Mark Haddon
Seeing by Jose Saramago
Brick Lane by Monica Ali
The Human Stain by Phillip Roth
A Thread of Grace by Maria Doria Russell
The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
The Pearl by John Steinbeck
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb
A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J Gaines
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
The Yiddish Policeman's Union by Michael Chabon
Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys

My favorite was Blindness---LOVED IT

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I loved the Poisonwood Bible too! I just recommended it to someone that was going to the beach for a week. All the talk makes me want to read it again.